Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Emma and Cynthia

I grew up a part of The Taylor clan.  They are my cousins, but in a lot of ways they have been so much more.  The first six years of my life they were all the siblings I had.  When Maggie came along, she and I became incredibly close, but my Taylors were still a huge part of my life.

Flash forward to the present time.  Leah's three kids and my Emma don't have the luxury of spending so many weekends and days together that we did growing up.  Life has taken us on different paths, but still brings us together when the opportunity comes about.

Emma and Cynthia are just under three weeks apart.  I am often texting Leah about what Cynthia is doing now or what she did about this and that.  It is the greatest blessing having Leah that one step ahead of me - most of the time two, or three steps ahead. 

Yesterday, Emma and I took a day trip to visit with Leah and sweet Cynthia.  They haven't seen each other since Christmas and in a way, it was like they were meeting for the first time again.  Cynthia is now mobile and was all over Emma - poking her eye, pulling her hair.  Emma was looking back and forth from Cynthia to me.  I think a big part of her wanted to play, but a part of her was intimidated.  Their age gap isn't a lot, but it's enough that there is still a pretty large difference in size and their development. 

Cynthia is very mobile while Emma is content with lying on her back and talking to the ceiling.  Cynthia is into everything while Emma watches people and things.  Cynthia wanted to play with Emma, but Emma wanted to figure her out first.  It is funny watching them together.  Cynthia has her two big brothers so I think her level of fear is pretty low.  She is daring and ready to get involved.  Emma on the other hand is cautious and wants to be aware of what she's getting herself into.

Leah and I were talking about how they are 'fighting' already.  Haha.  It was the strange looks they were giving to each other and, of course, the hair pulling they seemed to be dishing out - both of them!  We were also mentally preparing ourselves for the next few months when they will be chasing each other - first by crawling and then by running.  Are we ready for that?!

Before we parted, Leah was holding Cynthia while I had Emma.  We gave each other hugs and watched the girls stare at each other before they shared sweet cousin kisses.  We said see you next time and that was that.  It was a wonderful, brief visit with cousin and cousin, cousin and cousin.


No comments:

Post a Comment