Sunday, April 15, 2012

First Throat Infection

I have taken Emma to the doctor plenty in her little life.  Anytime I would question her health, I would call her nurse and we would together decide if she needed to come in or not.  She has had a handful of colds, but somehow avoiding actually being sick.  Unfortunately, that streak ended Easter morning.

Emma was coming down with it for a couple of days before, but Easter morning she woke up running fever.  Her sleep had been off, which sent up a red flag.  I assumed it was a stage or due to teething.  Sadly, it was Emma's first throat infection.

I took her in to see Dr Denney first thing Monday morning.  He took a throat culture after seeing it was inflamed.  It came back negative which identified that Emma didn't have strep.  He called it a simple throat infection.  He said it would feel a lot like strep, but she wouldn't need an antibiotic to heal it.  Her body would heal on it's on.  He recommended Tylenol every four hours, Benadryl for sleeping and plenty of rest.

Emma did just that.  We watched a lot more Dora than usual and she napped all throughout the day.  She woke up the next morning feeling much, much better.  After a couple days I took her to the park.  She and I both were getting a little tired of the house.  We prefer getting out and about.  I didn't want her getting super hot so we weren't there long.  Just long enough to breathe in some fresh air and soak up some Vitamin D.

It's almost been a week now and Emma is only battling teething.  Thank goodness her little throat is all better.  Now she can get back to babbling and silly noises.

Up late the night before Easter (1:30 am).

Forcing a smile at the pediatrician's office.

Looking at the new soother in her crib.

Feeling better after 24+ hours on Tylenol.

Glad to finally get out of the house!

"Thank you for making me better, Mama."

No comments:

Post a Comment