Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cotton Reid

This little Shih Tzu was wandering around our subdivision since before Easter.  Lana had taken him in after he got his head stuck in her fence.  At our last play date, she was telling Megan and me about the stray at her house.  She was debating between keeping him or taking him to the pound.  She didn't want to do either, but wasn't sure what to do.

As she told me all about him (potty trained, neutered, excellent rider) I felt led to keep him myself.  I told her to drop him off at my house to see how he would do.  Josh was surprised for sure, but fell in love with him instantly.  Emma was intrigued and I was smitten. 

Because it was around Easter when he was found, we named him Cotton.  It was like Peter Cotton Tail brought him to our little family.  Cotton is the sweetest dog I have ever been around.  He follows me everywhere and is incredibly gentle with Emma.  She, on the other hand, isn't so gentle with him.  She likes to pet him a couple of times followed by a pinch or two.  Cotton will then get up just out of reach of her little hands.  Like I said, he is the sweetest.

We haven't seen signs up of any lost Shih Tzus.  At least, not until tonight.  Josh went to Walmart for diapers and saw a new poster on one of the neighborhood stop signs.  He called and it turned out to be the owners.  His name is Cujo and his family is a street behind Lana's.  Cujo got out during the last storm.  The guy said he usually comes back which is why they waited to put up a sign, but when he didn't a couple weeks later they got worried.  And that is that. 

Josh and I are a little heart broken.  It has only been five days, but we were pretty crazy about that pup.  I think deep down we both knew.  He was groomed, healthy and well taken care of.  People don't just dump a young, healthy Shih Tzu.  I hope Emma doesn't notice tomorrow morning that he is gone.  I think that is what I am most sad about.  She would get so excited every time she saw him.  I think a big part of her wanted to jump down and chase after him.

We are planning to get our own precious puppy one day in the future, but when timing is really right.  Having Cotton here was a nice glimpse at what having a dog will be like.  We had our bassets for a few months, but they weren't the best inside dogs or best case scenario.  Now we know what breed we prefer (small) and how we can handle both Emma and a dog.  For now, that is enough.





No comments:

Post a Comment