Each household is different. Each family is different. There are new faces, new smells. Emma is having to constantly adjust and get her bearings. Surprisingly, (yet again) she did really well.
Grandma's house has always been nuts at Christmas - kids running in all different directions. That's the way we like it! It was that way when I was a kid and all us girls had Grandma's aprons on playing and occasionally bickering. And it's that way now with all the boys wrestling around Grandma's breakables. It's what we are use to and it's what we love about everyone getting together.
Surprisingly, Emma handled the craziness well. She was able to nap in my arms with a blanket shading her eyes from the overhead lights. The youngest bunch of us 15 (including Josh) grandkids shredded their paper to each exciting present. Little James said, "Thanks Grandma. You're the best!" Seeing Grandma's face and hearing the joy in the kids, that's what giving is all about.
Before we entered mayhem at Grandma's we enjoyed a more quiet get together at Nana Tana's. It was just Josh, Mom, Mags, Emma and me opening from each other. We always enjoy the intimacy of just us four - now five.
It has been a lot of fun opening for Emma - seeing what everyone has gotten her. I know next Christmas will be even more enjoyable as she will be able to open for herself. I can't wait to see the excitement on her little one year old face. Until then, I am more than pleased to soak up the last few memories made of Emma's first Christmas (I am tearing up now!).
No comments:
Post a Comment