Sunday, February 5, 2012

Emma Fell Off The Couch

It happened.  That thing I said wouldn't.  That thing I feared.  That thing no parent wants to happen, but always seems to somewhere, somehow occur.  Emma fell off the couch.

We were in New Orleans visiting our dear Stewarts.  I was trying to get Emma down for a nap on the love seat.  I was next to her, patting her chest and stroking her hair.  I got up for one second to do I don't remember what on the couch three feet away from the love seat.  I turned around and saw Emma holding her feet and rolling to the side - the wrong side.  I mumbled, "Oh my God", grabbing Josh's attention.  She went feet first which broke her fall a bit.  I slid my arms under her in time to somewhat save her, but the back of her head tapped the concrete floor.

Immediately, Josh and I panic.  She is screaming and I am rocking her back and forth while Josh inspects her skull.  Thankfully we were at Jimbo and Audrea's.  They have four kids, two of them young boys, so they have experienced quite a few bumps.  They kept our heads level headed while our new parent minds feared a concussion or worse.

After calling her pediatrician line, my friend in peds, my aunt (former labor/delivery nurse), and Jimbo and Audrea's friend that is a current ER nurse, we were aware of concussion symptoms and comforted that Emma was ok.  Her head wasn't knotting up.  There was just a red spot about the size of a quarter and a lot of tears.

We were blessed in so many ways.  Emma was perfectly fine - the good kind of fine.  She was laughing and acting completely normal five minutes after she fell.  Now, 24+ hours later, she is safely asleep in her own crib.  Praise God.


No comments:

Post a Comment