Monday, February 27, 2012

Big Blue Eyes

Emma Grace has always looked a lot like her daddy.  However, there has never been a doubt in my mind that she has my eyes.

My big blue eyes were the one thing I had really wanted Emma to get from me.  Don't get me wrong, Josh has beautiful eyes.  Mine just came from my daddy.

I didn't anticipate feeling so strongly about my daddy not being here for the birth of my kids and so on.  The day Emma arrived had even come and gone before I realized I was so sad about it.  Every milestone she hits, every special event that occurs I think about all the grandparents that are here and deeply, deeply miss my dad. 

My Mimi told me a story recently that truly touched my heart.  She talked of the day my daddy was born.  She said it was baffling to both her and my Gigi to see a baby that came from them, two dark brown eyed people, have such bright baby blue eyes.  She sweetly said, with a smile across her face, that she sees him in my Emma - all she sees is those eyes.

It is very emotional for me.  Everyone who sees Emma - people at the grocery store, restaurants, family, friends - they all say the same thing.  "Look at her eyes!  They are so beautiful!"  "Wow, her eyes are incredible!  So big and blue!  Stunning!"  "Those eyes are going to be your main asset girl.  Beautiful." 

I wouldn't change that for all the world.  I know my dad isn't here to see her, but when I look into her eyes a part of me can see him too.









No comments:

Post a Comment