I felt like we were on track after the first couple of days Emma had tried the rice cereal. She seemed to take it slowly, but I assumed she would eventually learn to like it. After that second day, however, Josh and I noticed her spitting up more than usual. Naturally we thought of her reflux.
Trying it the third time, the third day, we watched her closely. She still wasn't wanting very much of it, plus she spit up afterwards. Her pediatrician had wanted her to have 2 - 4 tablespoons with an ounce of her formula mixed with it. She wasn't even eating one tablespoon worth.
I called the fourth day and Nurse Nancy said to mix 1/2 a teaspoon of applesauce with it and see if she would take to it better. Plus, the applesauce mixed in, would hopefully reduce the spitting up.
So, day five of rice cereal and Emma seemed to enjoy it more than ever before. I only mixed one tablespoon with the formula and applesauce, but she ate almost all of it. That was definitely more than she had taken yet.
Hopefully, she will keep adjusting to the change and eventually enjoy the rice cereal/applesauce mix. Honestly though, who can blame her?
Haha, Sam won't TOUCH the cereal unless it's mixed with apple juice. He hates it with milk!
ReplyDelete