Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Eden and Ivy

Last week, I had the great pleasure of watching these two cuties - Eden (3) and Ivy (4 months).  Besides Luke, Emma has never experienced other kids in our home.  She had one eye on Ivy, but was very interested in Eden and her great ability to talk. 

I enjoyed having off the wall conversations with Eden while feeding Ivy and watching Emma watch us all.  For a moment, it felt like I could do it all - easy peasy.  And then Ivy got tired and Emma became hungry.  Thankfully, Eden colored and snacked on gold fish while I juggled the other two.

I had Emma in her high chair eating a cracker as I rocked Ivy side to side.  She had enjoyed herself, but was very ready for Mommy to be back.  Ivy got louder and then louder.  Emma looked at me with that pitiful, worried look on her face.  I tried comforting her with a smile and a gently, "It's ok Emma.  She's ok, I promise."  Unfortunately, that didn't work.  Emma went to squaling along with Ivy.

I instantly became on edge and then Eden said, "They sure are fussy!"  It was such a simple, true statement, but it calmed me down.  I think it was because she was so matter of fact.  They were fussy, but things would be ok.  Eden knew that and that reassured me.  I walked into Emma's room, turned on the fan and rocked them both side to side.  With the fan on, Ivy fell asleep quickly.  Emma stopped crying once Ivy did and all was right with the world.

It seemed a little bit like forever, but, in reality, the tears weren't long lasting.  Hillary came back to a sleeping baby and a happy little girl.  I call that success!  

No comments:

Post a Comment