I have never been one of those women who felt that breast feeding was THE only way. My entire pregnancy I vowed that I would do whatever worked out best with and for Emma. Of course, I would try breast feeding but, would not mind formula feeding either.
Day one and she took to me - no problem. I was excited that Emma would be getting all the nourishment that breast milk provides. Unfortunately, when she came down with Jaundice, she became so lethargic that feeding from me was too exhausting for her. She quit eating all together.
I did not know just how much I loved breast feeding until it became an issue that we may have to switch to formula. The night she stopped eating I said if she tolerates the formula then that's it - we'll supplement. Thankfully, she did drink the formula. I knew that night that breast feeding would be over.
It is no secret by now that I document every milestone and event. I knew a long time ago that I would want to talk about the feeding but, wasn't quite ready. The honest truth is I loved breast feeding my baby girl. It's as mothers have always said - the connection between mother and child during that intimate time of feeding is just incredible. It was something Emma and I had all to ourselves. It saddens me it ended so soon but, I did what a good mother would do and took care of my child the way I needed to.
Now days, I'm quite thankful for bottle feeding. Josh can help me when I really need it. I can share the responsibility with him in the evenings or the middle of the night. He is such a blessing to me. I love watching him become a better father each day. He's so good to our little Emma.
NO ONE should feel guilty because they are taking the best care of their child that they can. And you all are clearly doing that. I enjoy reiding about your days (and nights) with Emma and all the beautiful pictures.
ReplyDelete