I decided a long time ago that my blog would be an honest experience of my pregnancy. I didn't want to just talk about the good involved - I knew I wanted to be transparent and real about it all. Thus far, this pregnancy has been near flawless. Although everything is good now, yesterday did give us a little scare.
It was Monday night - almost nine. I started feeling some low stomach pains I never had felt before. Keeping one eye on them and one eye on the clock, Josh decided to call my mom. She and Maggie came over and we watched the clock together. About 11:30 Josh called the hospital. The advice given was to take certain medicines, take a bath, drink water and lay on my left side. If the pains stopped then all was good. If they continued then they might be premature contractions and we would have to come in. After doing everything they had asked, the pains continued. About 2:30 we headed into the hospital.
After asking me a ton of questions, taking a urine sample and hooking me up to the contraction machine they concluded I was dehydrated. The contractions were not strong enough to be actual labor - just aggravation. Thank goodness, all was good. Everyone got home about six and immediately crashed.
I showered late that next day and afterwards noticed the pains again. Calling the doctor they said the same thing as the day before. Do the list of to do's and come in if they aren't better. So, a couple of hours later, we headed back to the hospital. This trip they actually examined me fully along with the other stuff they had done several hours before. Coming to the same conclusion, they told me to continue drinking water, know my body's limits and to expect certain discomforts as she grows. Emma is simply getting bigger and running out of room.
Everything happening really put things into perspective for me. My OCD tendencies, I have mentioned before, are really going to have to be watched. Usually, being tired and sore doesn't stop me from getting what I think I need done completed. Josh has made clear to me that he is here to help and I must take it easier. Experiencing mild contractions made me aware that my body as well as my daughter's needs more water. I have been sweating and crying more than usual due to the summer heat and rush of hormones so I must replenish my body with the water it needs.
Dehydration contractions are SOO common you'd be surprised. But you definitely need to put your feet up, and let Emma grow - and yourself rest!
ReplyDelete