Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Sick

Seeing your child sick is horrible.  In my opinion, it's one of the worst things a mother endures during motherhood.  It's pure hell on Earth.  Emma has been sick a handful of times, but nothing takes the cake like these last seven days.

*Stop reading now if uninterested in the dirty details.  This is mostly for my own records, the grandparents, and the doctors in my life.*

Last Monday Emma came home from MMO with a terrible cough.  She seemed in perfect spirits, but this cough sounded awful.  The weather is cooling off - I wasn't really surprised she was coughing.  We had been outdoors most of the weekend, taking on a lot of wind.  I really didn't think she would get sick, but I. Was. Wrong.

Emma started vomiting late Monday night.  The drainage from her cough made it impossible for her sensitive gag reflexes to deal.  I took her to see Dr Denney early Tuesday morning.  He prescribed a light cough syrup sure to help her rest.  Unfortunately, she threw that up too.  We couldn't get her to keep anything down and the vomit made her throat so sore.  She kept saying "spicy" and pointing to her neck.  She wouldn't eat or drink hardly anything.  She would vomit every time she laid down for a lengthy time.  We were changing sheets two or three times a day/night.  Poor baby would say, "Emma frew up again.  Bafe (bath)".  She quickly learned the drill.

I took her back in Friday, hoping for a shot or a miracle that would get her eating and sleeping again.  She had lost two pounds in three days!  They did give her two shots along with prescriptions for an antibiotic and 1/2 dose of Zofran [for nausea] every eight hours.  We were praying for instant relief, but poor baby continued to get worse.  Late that night, Em ran 103 fever.  We kept her up for an hour, giving her Tylenol and a cool compress.  Her fever dropped to 99, but she still did not rest well.  It had been days since we all had slept through the night.  This pregnant Mama was exhausted.  We all were.

It really felt like this thing wasn't going to get better.  Thankfully, we had a turn around!  Sunday night was the last time Emma vomited and she is now finally able to keep her food down!!!  She had her first normal nap yesterday along with a lot of R&R with Mama.  Today she has eaten like normal and seemed more like our Emma!  If this keeps up, she'll be back to her normal self and at MMO tomorrow!  Oh my goodness, PRAISE GOD!

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.  Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment